Introducing Judge Gerou
Office Contact Information:
Mike Gerou was elected to serve as a 35th District Court Judge in November of 2002. In addition to his regular judicial responsibilities, Judge Gerou is the Sobriety Court Judge in the 35th District Court. Judge Gerou supervises and mentors legal interns at the court. Judge Gerou created the Teenage Choices and Legal Consequences pamphlet designed to help young offenders make better choices. Prior to taking the bench, Judge Gerou practiced law for more than 16 years and built a thriving Main Street general law practice.
Judge Gerou earned his Bachelor’s degree from Eastern Michigan University and his law degree from the University of Detroit School of Law and has attended the National Judicial College.
Judge Gerou is a member of the Michigan Bar Association; Michigan District Judges Association; the Suburban Bar Association; American Judges Association; a past president of the Wayne County District Judges Association; member of the Catholic Lawyers Society, serves on the board of the Incorporated Society of Irish-American Lawyers and is a graduate of both Leadership Plymouth and Leadership Canton programs.
Judge Gerou’s community involvement has included:
- Helped found All Saints Catholic School (first new Catholic School built in Detroit Archdiocese in over 35 years)
- Served as President and a six year Director of the Canton Chamber of Commerce;
- Served on the Cherry Hill Village Task force
- Co-founded the Western Wayne Chapter of the Eastern Michigan University Alumni Association
- Team Captain for Canton’s Relay for Life
- Co-sponsored of six miles of Adopt-A-Highway projects in Plymouth, Canton and Northville for ten years
- Parish Council at St. Kenneth Catholic Church
- Board member for the Plymouth Family YMCA and the Canton Community Foundation
- Chair of Leadership Plymouth
- Served on the Plymouth Chamber of Commerce Nomination Committee, Founding Board member and first President of the Greater Canton Youth Baseball and Softball Association, which serves 2,800 youth participants in our area
- President of CYO Athletics at All Saints
- Coach of various community youth sports (soccer, football, basketball, baseball and fast pitch softball) for the past 15 years, including several nationally ranked fastpitch softball teams.
- Canton Community Achiever Award 1997 and 1998
- Businessperson of the Year Award 2001
- Volunteer of the Year Plymouth YMCA 2002
- Elks Distinguished Citizenship Award 2003
- Canton Hall of Fame 2007 (one of youngest inductees ever)
- Lois Matyn Nichols CYO Award (10 years of coaching multiple sports) 2011
- MI USSSA Hall of Fame - Distinguished Service Award (Softball Coach)
Judge Gerou is a long time resident of our community where he resides with his family.