To file a Civil claim in the 35th District Court, the business or person you are suing must do business, live in, or the event giving rise to the dispute must have occurred in the Canton, Northville, or Plymouth communities.

New Civil Fee Increases - Effective March 1, 2016
As a result of HB 5029 of 2015, new legislation has passed that requires the Court to collect an "electronic filing system fee" in addition to the existing filing fees for commencing a civil action, regardless of whether the action is filed electronically. These new fees take effect on March 1, 2016.
New Fee Schedule

The Court handles the following Civil Matters: Points to consider: The court is only a tool that is available to you for settling disputes or establishing and reducing your claim to judgment. You are responsible for:
  • Locating the parties.
  • Determining your course of action.
  • Gathering your witnesses and evidence.
While the staff of this Court will try to help either party to an action, you must understand:
  • Our clerks are not attorneys, and therefore cannot give legal advice.
  • The Judge/magistrate may not and will not give advice on matters they may have to rule on.
  • The Court can render money judgments only. As long as there is no criminal activity taking place the court has no power to force anyone to do something or to stop doing something.
Civil Case Process
  1. Filing a claim
  2. Settlement hearing date and Trial
  3. Civil Collections
Civil Fees - Civil case fees & Interest Rates for Money Judgments (pdf format)
Civil Dept Fax Number Fax Number: (734)454-9303
Civil Contact Email Address:
Civil Clerk for Judge Gerou
Civil Clerk for Judge Lowe
Civil Clerk for Judge Plakas